Tomato soup still rates as one of the nations’ favourite soups for winter weather. This really simple soup used tinned tomatoes to speed up the recipe.
Serves: 2 x 500ml insulated bottles or food pots
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: Approximately 20 minutes
- 10g butter
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes (get one of the flavoured ones with herbs)
- 1 large pinch sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 3tbsp double cream
- 1tbsp horseradish sauce
- 2tsp balsamic vinegar
- Ground black pepper and salt for seasoning
- a few torn basil leaves added at the end and stirred through
- Sweat the onion, celery stick and chopped garlic cloves in the butter. Tip in the tomatoes, sugar, tomato purée and veg stock and season. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the double cream, balsamic vinegar and horseradish, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Ready to serve.
Calories 135, Fat 8g, Saturates 1g, Carbohydrates 13g, Sugar 4g, Fibre 4g, Protein 4g, Salt 1.5g