Pea soup can be quite delicious and so easy to make. Has adequate amounts of fibre, a good deal of protein, and relatively low in calories. The pancetta (or smoked bacon lardons) certainly liven it up and give it an unexpected flavour. It’s the kind of soup that you can make with fridge and freezer ingredients for unexpected guests.
Serves: 2 x 500ml food pots
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 4 slices pancetta, or 40g unsmoked bacon lardons (more if you want!)
- 600ml chicken stock
- 250g good quality frozen peas
- 1tsp fresh tarragon leaves, chopped (you could use mint if you prefer the taste)
- Salt and ground black pepper to season (easy on the salt as there is plenty in the pancetta or bacon)
- 2tbsp double cream to give it a creamier texture
- Firstly, either dry fry your pancetta or bacon lardons until crispy. Crush up to smaller pieces. Place on kitchen paper and cover with another sheet until ready to use
- Put chicken stock in a saucepan until almost at boiling point, then add the peas. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in the chopped tarragon or mint and any seasoning.
- Blitz the soup in a blender or use a hand blender and leave the mixture quite dense.
- Place back into the saucepan and put in your crispy pancetta pieces, stir and bring back up to almost boiling. If you want to add cream, do so now during this process, but remember to stir through. Season well.
- Tip into your food pots and ready to go.
Calories 244, Fat 10g, Saturates 4.5g, Carbohydrates 15g, Sugar 3.9g, Fibre 5.1g, Protein 22g, Salt 1.5g