One for the whole family, or a great meal to give to the children if they have a group of friends round. Try to use some flavoured sausages as a variation to the normal pork ones, adds more flavour to this dish – ones such as pork and leek, pork and caramelised onion etc. Or go bold and use chorizo style with more spices contained in the sausages
Serves: 2 x 700ml food pots
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 pork and herb sausages
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800g tinned mixed beans, rinsed and drained
- 2tbsp English mustard
- 1tbsp barbecue sauce (any make will do)
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- Ground black pepper
- Use the oil to pan fry the sausage, browning all over on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and allow to cook for 5 minutes then add the garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic
- Add all the other ingredients to the pan with 100ml of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 1 hour, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 1 hour. The mixture will thicken as the beans start to break down. If getting too thick, add a little more water. Do stir the mixture from time to prevent beans sticking.
- Before placing in your food pots, cut the sausages into pieces so they fit!
Calories 592, Fat 25.7g, Saturates 8.4g, Carbohydrates 39g, Sugar 17g, Fibre 11g, Protein 32g, Salt 5.1g