This is a deliciously creamy soup, with just the right amount of spices to rev it up a bit but not to overwhelm the soup. Use split lentils for ease of cooking.
Serves: 2 x 500ml (up to you whether you use pots or insulated bottles)
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1½tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp black onion seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 500g fresh carrots, top and tailed, washed then grated
- 100g split red lentils
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 60ml milk (Have extra milk on hand in case you wish the texture to be thinner)
- Salt and black pepper to season
- In a large pan, dry fry the spices until they ‘pop’, around 1 minute
- Add the olive oil, carrots and lentils, then top up with the stock and milk. Bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn down to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until lentils have softened and the soup has thickened.
- Using your blender or stick blender, blitz until desired consistency is reached. If you do need extra milk, place the mix back into your saucepan, and heat through.
- Pour into your pots or insulated bottles for a warming and tasty soup.
Calories 236, Fat 6g, saturates 1g, Carbohydrates 34g, Sugars 0g, Fibre 5g, Protein 11g