One of the most glorious and aromatic herbs you can grow in your garden or buy from supermarkets and garden centres is Lemon Verbena. The difference it makes to an infused water or juice is quite incredible in terms of flavour and smell. Coupled with pineapple, it really is refreshing. If you want it REALLY lemony with a bit of spice, add a small piece of lemongrass.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 3 rings of fresh pineapple, hard core and skin removed, flesh chopped
- 12 Lemon verbena leaves, gently crushed in your hand
- 4 small slices of lemon, thinly cut
- 1 (and a bit) litres of Sparkling water (you can use ordinary tap water if preferred)
- Optional – 3cm lemongrass, crushed
- Optional – 1tsp vanilla essence for sweetness, or artificial sweetener such as Stevia
- It is best to mix this in a jug, then transfer to your water bottle.
- Put the fruit and herbs into a large jug. Top up the jug with your choice of water.
- Stir the jug round, and place in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Remove the lemongrass and decant the remains of the jug into your water bottles.